Burfi or barfi is an Indian fudge made with milk and sugar. There are several variations of burfi, some with nuts, some made with different flours and this variation has dark chocolate. What is incredible is that it can be made in 5 minutes, isn’t that cool for an Indian dessert, which typically involves effort and time. I normally use the microwave to reheat food and once in a while to cook rice, but this recipe recommended the use of microwave and if it can be cooked in 5 minutes without too much clarified butter, why not right? Milk powder and condensed milk is cooked to a semi solid consistency and topped off with a layer of melted dark chocolate, almost like a vanilla fudge with chocolate, two layers of super fun, need i say more? For those celebrating the Indian festival Diwali this weekend, this is a perfect last minute treat to distribute among friends and family. Happy Diwali folks! May the festival of lights bring joy and happiness to you all.
14 oz condensed milk
1.5 cups milk powder
2 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
1 teaspoon powdered cardamom
few strands of saffron
5oz chocolate ( i used trader joe’s dark chocolate)
1. Place clarified butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add milk powder and condensed milk to the melted clarified butter and mix well with a spoon. Cook for 3 minutes, stir after every minute.
3. Add powdered cardamom and saffron and mix well. Microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Transfer the above mixture to a greased plate. Spread evenly with a spatula.
5. Let it cool completely before transferring to a refrigerator to cool for at least 1 hour. At the end of an hour, remove plate from the refrigerator.
6. To melt chocolate, heat water in a saucepan and place chocolate in a metal bowl that fits well on top of the saucepan. Allow chocolate to melt in low, indirect heat stirring continuously till the chocolate completely melts.
7. Spread melted chocolate evenly over the milk powder-condensed milk mixture taken out from the refrigerator.
8. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and cut into 16 squares.