If you are one of those for whom sandwiches always mean grilled cheese, you are going to love this post. Now you have a great excuse to eat grilled cheese and call it healthy too. Do you remember the bunch of farm fresh, organic carrots from my oxbow box and the pesto with those beautiful carrot tops? That lovely pesto triggered the idea for this simple yet outrageously tasty sandwich. Roasting carrots in oven is new to me and i am completely smitten with the simple process and flavorful results. Make sure to buy slender, fresh, organic carrots from your local farmer’s markets, they definitely make the roasting easier and tastier. Vegans, as much as we all don’t like store-bought vegan cheese, this one time, make an exception and try it on this sandwich. Pair it with this finger lickin’ good tomato soup and parsnip fries for a satisfying lunch.
8 slender organic carrots
4 slices of bread
1/2 cup shaved cheese (i used pepperjack)
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Place carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Spread one side of each slice of bread with a thin layer of unsalted butter.
5. Spread the other side with pesto.
6. Place 4 roasted carrots (whole or cut) on the pesto side and finish with a layer of cheese.
7. Place the other slice of bread, with the pesto side on top of the carrots.
8. Place the sandwich in a panini press or a pan on stovetop and grill on each side for 3-5 minutes, until browned.
9. Repeat with the other 2 slices of bread.