Right before i left for vacation, i found some stray veggies hanging around in the refrigerator and among those was a bag of shredded cabbage from Trader Joe’s. They almost looked like rice noodles and that gave birth to the idea of this uber healthy Pad Thai recipe. I threw in a bunch of veggies including kale and used couple of eggs for protein since i didn’t have tofu at home. I used home made Pad Thai sauce, but you can use store-bought sauce or even use taco seasoning as we are talking about far from authentic Pad Thai here. The mildly sweet and tangy flavors from the sauce perfectly complemented the crunchy veggies. Looks like this may become a frequent lunch from now on, given how healthy and flavorful it is.
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 small zucchini, cut into discs
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
handful of mushrooms, chopped
handful of kale, roughly chopped
1 hard boiled egg or scrambled egg ( substitute tofu for a vegan version)
1 tablespoon pad thai sauce
2 teaspoons oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts (optional)
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
1. Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Add onions and cook for a minute. Add garlic and give it a quick stir.
2. Add all the veggies except cabbage and cook for couple of minutes.
3. Add a tablespoon of pad thai sauce and mix well.
4. Add shredded cabbage, mix well and season with salt and pepper.
5. Top with eggs or tofu, roasted peanuts, cilantro and lime wedge.