For the longest time i thought marble cakes were complicated to bake until i figured that all i needed was 2 sets of batters and a knife or toothpick. How simple is that! I got inspired by Vegcharlotte’s chocolate orange cake and wanted to bake something with chocolate and orange. Yumjay loves this combination and i had some navel oranges in the fruit bowl begging to be used. This cake is moist, flavorful from the fresh orange juice and zest and is simply outstanding. You could serve this with tea or coffee or make it a celebratory cake by coating it with a rich fudge sauce.
1.5 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
zest from 1 medium orange
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup organic soy yogurt
1 teaspoon pure orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a nonstick loaf pan generously with oil and sprinkle some flour. Dust off the excess flour and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Beat oil, sugar and orange extract until creamy.
4. Add orange juice and yogurt, mix well.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix well.
6. Divide the batter into two equal portions. Add cocoa powder to one portion and orange zest to the other and mix well.
7. Spoon 1/4 cup of orange batter into the prepared loaf pan, top with 1/4 cup of cocoa batter. Continue to alternate until all the batter is used.
8. Use a toothpick or knife to create swirls on the batter.
9. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing.