We almost never eat at fast food restaurants. But we do love Chipotle and Qdoba because eating at these Mexican fast food places makes us feel less guilty, I suppose. Everything looks and tastes fresh and its easy to add/delete ingredients in the assembly line to make it healthy and delicious. While Yumjay would always load his burrito bowls with chicken or steak, I wouldn’t have much options, except for rice and black beans and the add-ons. So when Chipotle introduced their tofu Sofritas sometime last year in Seattle, I was beyond thrilled. It was a dream come true for vegetarians/vegans.
Organic tofu is braised with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices to make this delicious sofritas according to Chipotle website. You can try that or simply use Trader Joe’s Taco seasoning mix to get the same delicious taste. I cant tell you how simple and versatile this dish is. Be it for breakfast tacos or burritos, this tofu sofritas is definitely something that carnivores and vegans would love alike.
Between this and potato burrito, its really hard for me to say which tastes better but i suppose tofu is healthier than potatoes. This would make a lovely weeknight dinner or a great addition to your burrito bar at your next party.
1 block organic extra firm tofu
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 medium green pepper, finely diced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 packet Trader Joe’s Taco Seasoning mix or make your own from here
2 teaspoons oil
Ingredients for Chipotle style burrito bowl
1 cup cooked white or brown rice
1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 cup cooked or canned black beans
Hot salsa ( if you can’t make your own, i’d highly recommend Trader Joe’s Salsa Autentica)
vegan cheese (optional, use regular cheese for a non-vegan version)
vegan sour cream/plain yogurt (optional, use regular sour cream/plain yogurt for a non-vegan version)
Method for tofu sofritas
1. Heat oil in a pan and when oil is hot, add onions. Cook till they are almost brown.
2. Add green peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes, till they turn slightly soft.
3. Add chopped tomatoes with a pinch of salt, cook till they turn soft and mushy.
4. Add taco seasoning mix along with crumbled tofu and mix well.
5. Let it cook on medium flame for 5-7 minutes, till all the water is absorbed and the tofu mixture is thoroughly heated.
6. To assemble the burrito bowl, add cilantro, lime juice and salt to cooked rice, give it a good stir.
7. Place rice, beans and tofu sofritas in a bowl.
8. Top with pico de gallo, hot salsa and guacamole.
9. Add vegan cheese and sour cream (optional) and serve.