Its been almost two weeks since I posted anything on the blog, the longest break since I started this blog about 18 months ago. It is not because I haven’t been cooking, its just because I’ve been busy with other things. That said, I am going to try and be more regular with my posts. Our meals lately have been quite simple but healthy and flavorful and something that can be put together without much effort. One such recipe is this simple stir-fry. I am not a big fan of eggplant, but Yumjay is and therefore this vegetable appears on our menu at least once a week. And since i add potato to this stir-fry, I eat it without complaining. This recipe calls for basic Indian spices, the ones you can easily find in any supermarket. You can use any type of eggplant, I have used the small Thai eggplants you find in Indian grocery stores. This stir-fry along with dal, rice or roti makes a wholesome, delicious weeknight Indian dinner.
5-6 Thai eggplants, cut into wedges
1 medium russet potato, skin peeled and cut into wedges
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon black gram/urad dal
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon powdered asafetida
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
5-6 curry leaves
1. Heat oil in a pan and when oil is hot, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
2. Add cumin seeds and let it cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add black gram/urad dal and cook till it turns slightly brown.
4. Add curry leaves and asafetida, cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add eggplant and potatoes, along with the powdered spices and salt, mix well.
6. Sprinkle a tablespoon of water and cook covered for 5 minutes.
7. Uncover and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and well roasted.