If you are looking for a simple to make, yet delicious coffee cake recipe, you are in luck my friends. Coffee cakes in America have nothing do with coffee except that it tastes great when had with coffee or tea. I’ve probably eaten my weight in blueberries this summer, the plump, juicy, fresh blueberries are truly irresistible. Surrounded by berry farms in the Pacific Northwest, its hard to stop myself from picking or buying these beauties. If you are looking for a great weekend activity with kids, check out this post from last year on blueberry picking.
This blueberry coffee cake is a huge crowd pleaser, i took this to a friend’s party and it was an instant hit among adults and kids. I love that this moist, flavorful cake be had even for breakfast or brunch. If you don’t want to use butter, substitute with oil and you have a great vegan version of this cake. Whip up this simple cake on a weekend morning and be assured that you are starting your morning right.
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup blueberries
Ingredients for topping
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon cold butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9inch baking dish with some oil or butter and set aside.
2. Prepare the topping mixing together the butter, sugar and cinnamon with 2 forks until crumbly and chill until ready to use.
3. Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, cream together butter, sugar, yogurt and vanilla.
5. Gently fold in the dry ingredients and mix in the blueberries. Do not over mix the batter.
6. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean