It is kind of late for a zucchini recipe but i’m hoping you still have some of your summer loot left for this amazingly moist and delicious bread. I love zucchini in all forms, be it pasta, bread or just grilled with a dash of olive oil and sea salt. So imagine my delight when i was given a giant home grown organic zucchini. I sprung into action and baked 4 beautiful loaves of chocolate bread with this giant squash. Thank you Ali for sharing your summer’s bounty.
This bread is not overly sweet and makes for a great snack or would look beautiful on your brunch table.It freezes well, so make a big batch before the season ends. If you aren’t a chocolate or sweet bread fan, try these savory squash muffins, bet you won’t be disappointed.
1.5 cups shredded raw zucchini/courgette
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped (you can use chocolate chips too)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan and set it aside.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Fold in the chopped chocolate and set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs and add oil, sugars, vanilla extract and mix till well blended.
4. Fold in the grated zucchini and flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
5. Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool bread for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack.
7. Cool completely before slicing. This bread stores well at room temperature for 3 days.