This is a great dish to make when you have left over rice. Refrigerated rice works well for fried rice. You can throw in some vegetables and break and egg for protein or make the same with tofu too. This can be made in 15minutes if you have rice available. I made this for lunch one Sunday and shared it with our neighbor M. He loved it so much that he told me twice that it was just perfect:) So I guess this is a keeper!
2 cups cooked rice ( I used left over basmati rice)
1 medium size onion cut lengthwise
1 cup vegetables ( I used a mix of grated cabbage, carrot and frozen green peas)
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon red chili sauce ( I used sriracha)
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1. Heat oil in a wok and when hot add onions and cook till onions turn translucent.
2. Add vegetables and sauté on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add soy sauce, chilli sauce, salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Add cooked rice and mix well and cook on medium flame for couple of minutes or until the rice is hot.
5. Push the rice to one side of the wok and break the eggs on the other side.
6. Scramble the eggs until its cooked well and gently mix with the rice.
I once heard someone say ” if butter were a vegetable, it would be an avocado”. Isn’t that so true? Behind the rugged skin, there is this super smooth, creamy flesh which is rich in fiber and potassium and supposedly lowers blood cholesterol levels. I have substituted avocado also known as butter fruit in India for mayonnaise and hummus for mustard in this egg salad sandwich. In under 15minutes, with almost no cooking you have a healthy, filling lunch or snack ready. You can make this ahead and refrigerate it for up to 3days and feel free to add some tomato, cilantro and cheese for added taste.
2 Hard boiled eggs peeled and diced
2 slices of bread ( I used 100% whole wheat bread)
1/2 ripe Avocado
Juice from 1/2 lime
2 teaspoons store bought hummus ( I used Trader Joe’s spicy hummus)
1/2 teaspoon Fresh ground pepper
Salt if needed
1. Mash the avocado with a fork or run it for 1-2 minutes in a food processor to get a creamy paste.
2. Add hummus and lime juice and mix well.
3. Fold in the diced eggs and season with more salt if needed and pepper.
4. Spread on bread and enjoy.
Breakfast Tacos are a great way to kick start your day. You can make these tacos with dinner left overs, or just egg and cheese or whatever else is there in your fridge. The best news is you get to eat hot breakfast( a luxury in my part of the world on a weekday) with cooking time of about 5 minutes. Isn’t that sweet? I just scrambled an egg and added some store bought Pico de gallo (tomato, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, lemon and salt) and a generous squirt of sriracha (hot sauce). You can make your Pico too and even add veggies like peppers, and meat or tofu for extra protein. And if you can’t find tacos where you live, just wrap in a left over Roti/Chapathi or even bread would work just fine.
2 Corn/wheat soft tortillas ( I used Trader Joes vegan corn/wheat tortillas)
1 large egg
1/4 cup Trader joes hot Pico de Gallo
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce( optional)
Fresh ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a non stick pan and when the oil is hot add the egg and scramble it.
2. When the egg is almost done, move them to one side of the pan and heat tortillas on the other side.
3. Divide the eggs into 2 portions on the pan.
4. Scoops the eggs with the 2 tortillas.
5. Top with Pico de gallo, hot sauce and pepper.