Fridays deserve something special and if its a long weekend, it totally deserves something extra special like this brown butter chocolate oatmeal cookie. We are not talking about any ordinary chocolate here, it is Milky Way and I’m yet to meet someone who doesn’t like this ooey- gooey caramel chocolate goodness. Milky way is comparable to Mars in the UK and Five Star in India. So if you can’t find Milky Way where you live, use Mars or Five Star and you will enjoy the same results. This recipe uses brown butter, which is nutty and fragrant. Brown butter is made by melting butter on stove top until nutty and fragrant, the process is almost similar to making clarified butter, but less time consuming. These not so vegan cookies from Sally’s baking addiction are chewy and ooze with chocolate and caramel in every bite and because it has oats, you can even have it for breakfast;)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1.5 cups chopped milky way ( I used dark chocolate milky way)
1. Freeze the chopped milky way pieces for at least 30 minutes.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan and stir constantly till the butter begins to brown. This process may take about 10 minutes on medium heat. Transfer brown butter into a bowl and let it solidify at room temperature.
3. Cream the brown butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed.
4. Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.
5. Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Stir in the oats with a wooden spatula until the dough comes together. Chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Roll the dough into 1 tablespoon measurement balls. Stick 2-3 pieces of frozen chocolate on top of each cookie.
9. Bake for 9-10 minutes or till the cookies are lightly brown on the edges.
10. Cool cookies in baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.