Have i ever mentioned how crazy i am about oranges? You should search for “orange” on this blog and you will know what i am talking about, i once even made a chutney with orange peel 🙂 .That’s how much i love this fruit. This orange olive oil pound cake is the moistest cake i have ever baked. Pound cakes typically have large amounts of butter, this olive oil cake is comparatively healthy without comprising on the taste and texture. I used Ina Garten’s orange pound cake recipe and substituted olive oil for butter and left out the glaze because it is quite sweet as it is. This cake tastes best when eaten the following day, it is very fragrant and the citrus flavor really stands out in each bite. You can substitute lemon, blood orange or even mandarins for orange in this recipe. I am sure it will be still be an outstanding cake to serve along with tea.
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
zest from 3 oranges
1/4 cup+2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup+ 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cream olive oil and sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer.
3. Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
4. Add orange zest and mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
6. In another bowl, combine orange juice, vanilla and buttermilk.
7. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the sugar/oil mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes in pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
10. This cake stores well in the refrigerator for up to a week.